Greetings and Welcome!

I've been photographing Wyoming and all of its wild residents for my entire 38 year career, and it never gets old or tiring. If the good Lord gave me several lifetimes I could not accomplish all that I dream of or visit all of the places in this state I've called home for 57 years.

I have two websites currently that showcase my work at www.jerrygeist.com and www.wyomingpanorama.com. There you will see galleries of landscape images, Wyoming's wildlife and wildflowers and special galleries of my favorite place, Yellowstone National Park and my favorite large mammal, Bison Bison or the buffalo as many call them. There is a special gallery dedicated to this fascinating creature and I've even made a special tribute print called 'Tatanka and the Iron Horse - the Decimations Haunting Specter' remembering the near extinction of this most significant symbol of the west. My intrigue for this wonderful animal will continue for as long as I can make trips to photograph them.

You can read all about my work, my career and individual pictures by visiting the website, but here I will share with you special places that have particular interest to me, see how I travel and shoot my images, read about some of my past and present experiences, meet friends that have shared special times with me, hear my ramblings about equipment, and hopefully respond to some of your comments.

Well, that is enough of an introduction. Welcome to my world - Images of Wyoming.

___________________________________

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Digital or Film?

One of the first questions I'm always asked is I'm shooting film or digital and what equipment I use, so this post will be dedicated to answering that question. Well first of all, I went totally digital about three years ago. Up to that point I had been using Nikon 35mm film cameras and medium format film cameras. When I started researching digital I quickly came to the conclusion that I wanted a digital camera with a full frame sensor for a variety of reasons, but primarily because of low noise and superior quality.

I made the difficult decision to abandon my Nikon system and switched to Canon. I had been using Nikons for over 30 years starting with the venerable Nikon F. I've kept about 5 of my Nikkor lenses, but made a total investment in a complete Canon system. Here's the list of hardware that is my stable:

Canon EOS 1D Mark IIn's
Canon EOS 10D (for backup and IR)
14mm
16-35 zoom
24-70 zoom
70-200 zoom
100-400 zoom
500mm
24mm tilt shift
45mm tilt shift
90mm tilt shift
1.4X teleconverter

I have 5 different Gitzo tripods with a variety of heads from Wimberley, Kirk, RRS, Graf Studioball, Arca Swiss and Gitzo.

I use Really Right Stuff panorama equipment.

My Compact Flash and SD cards are all SanDisk Extreme III's and IV's.

Am I happy with Canon? Absolutely! It is superior equipment in every way and there is nothing I can imagine not being able to do with it. The results are absolutely stunning and I have run into no shortcomings. I can say this however. Had Nikon made the decision early on to adopt the full-frame sensor, I would have never considered changing systems. Only recently did Nikon decide to offer a full frame digital camera in the D3. These are remarkable cameras and may prompt many users to return to the Nikon system. It is just too little, too late for me. But as always, here's the bottom line. It doesn't matter what you use as much as the vision and technical expertise you exercise when making your images. Let the battle about hardware be engaged by those who can't make great images or have too much time on their hands. Their time could be better spent making pictures than arguing about what system to use.

No comments: