Greetings and Welcome!

I've been photographing Wyoming and all of its wild residents for my entire 38 year career, and it never gets old or tiring. If the good Lord gave me several lifetimes I could not accomplish all that I dream of or visit all of the places in this state I've called home for 57 years.

I have two websites currently that showcase my work at www.jerrygeist.com and www.wyomingpanorama.com. There you will see galleries of landscape images, Wyoming's wildlife and wildflowers and special galleries of my favorite place, Yellowstone National Park and my favorite large mammal, Bison Bison or the buffalo as many call them. There is a special gallery dedicated to this fascinating creature and I've even made a special tribute print called 'Tatanka and the Iron Horse - the Decimations Haunting Specter' remembering the near extinction of this most significant symbol of the west. My intrigue for this wonderful animal will continue for as long as I can make trips to photograph them.

You can read all about my work, my career and individual pictures by visiting the website, but here I will share with you special places that have particular interest to me, see how I travel and shoot my images, read about some of my past and present experiences, meet friends that have shared special times with me, hear my ramblings about equipment, and hopefully respond to some of your comments.

Well, that is enough of an introduction. Welcome to my world - Images of Wyoming.

___________________________________

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"Photographers and Grizzly Bears" an audio interview with Larry Roop

Last week I told you about what could happen when you are out in the wilderness making images and come upon a food cache of a Grizzly Bear. Sometimes you 'happen on' a circumstance that could lead to a problem meeting with an intolerant bear. Please be 'bear aware' when working in areas of Wyoming inhabited by these animals.

Well, this weeks story is about a photographer who had a bad encounter with a Grizzly that had a tragic ending. It didn't happen by a chance encounter or stumbling into a situation unawares. Instead this story is result of the all too common occurrence that happens in places like Yellowstone. I see these things happen nearly every year. Photographers or wanna be photographers do careless things around wild animals in hopes of getting the elusive prize winning image that we all dream of. People with cameras are too often guilty of breaking the rules of the Park or just ignoring good common sense. Many, if not most, escape their own stupidity without consequence. But, push the envelope once too often or with a different animal than your past experience gave you, and you may end up like the man in this story.

As always with these interviews, all the material is copyrighted 2009 Images of Wyoming and may not be reproduced in part or in whole, in any form without the express written permission of Larry Roop and Jerry Geist. Listen to the audio for your own education and information, but do not attempt to reproduce it. You will be prosecuted.

This is not a story with a pleasant outcome, so if you have a weak stomach or are not able to handle the harsh reality of what could happen in the wilderness, you may choose to pass on this interview. To proceed, just double click on this link to the audio interview with Larry Roop about the Photographer and the Grizzly Bear.

No comments: